WIPO/OMPI Administrative Building

Geneva, Switzerland

The new administrative building for the WIPO is located in Geneva’s international district, immediately adjacent to the Place des Nations and the existing WIPO Headquarters Building. The site is located near the lakeshore, surrounded by mature trees, established gardens and small to mid-scale residential buildings.

The new building houses about 500 workspaces. Cellular offices are gathered around three generous atria.

Common areas such as the double-height internal gardens, the library reading areas and routes/stairs in and around the atria enrich the buildings interior spaces and play an important role in terms of promoting communication and interaction. A cafeteria with a 300-seat restaurant area is located on ground floor. The WIPO library sits on the first floor. The lower levels of the building include a delivery yard, underground parking for WIPO staff, space for storing archives, technical plants and other service areas.

The project will be complemented by a large conference center, also designed by Behnisch Architekten.

Location

Geneva, Switzerland

Client

World Intellectual Property Organization

Architect

Behnisch Architekten, Stuttgart Final Construction Documents and Site Observation: Behnisch Architekten, Stuttgart with Hofmeister Architekten

Address

34 chemin des Colombettes
1211 Geneva
Switzerland

Competition

2000, 1st prize